Australian RC Forums banner

Baja questions! :D

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sandman 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Been reading these forums for awhile etc, so first up just wanted to say thank s to everyone that contributes; makes it a hell of alot easier for us noobs.

Also happy Aussie day everyone! :D

Now, onto the good stuff. A mate of mine just got himself a Baja SS (which I helped build) and man, the thing is AWESOME. I've wanted one for ages, but the price has scared me away but now that he has one............
The next biggest car I have is a Revo, and it looks like a stunted baby next to the Baja :(.

I already race nitros at BDR - http://users.bigpond.net.au/bigfix/index.html so I'm definitely interested in racing the thing.

Now, questions:

1. My main problem is cash. I see that there is the normal 5b version as well as the 5b SS. Now, in order to be competitive, (or just have more fun) is it worth the extra dosh to get the SS version, or can I get the vanilla version and commence hopping it up? There are a couple of places, including the dreaded fleabay selling the vanilla Baja's for like $600 or so.

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-1-5-Mass...yZ118229QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The price for that Baja seems way too good to be true, but it appears to be a genuine product, so if anyone can tell me its not, please do so! :D The guy has decent feedback, and he's sold a few Baja's before, all for between $550 and $600.

2. What are the differences between the vanilla Baja and the SS? Is there a list anywhere? The reason I ask is because it might be more cost effective to get a vanilla baja and then buy the different upgrade parts that are on the SS. Also, this would give me some spares in case any of those bits break. Maybe I should change "in case" to "when" or "inevitably" hehe.

3. Apart from the place I read about behind Australia Zoo, is there anywhere in Brissy/Gold coast where we can actually race these things? They'd be way to big for the track I normally use.

4. With regard to hop ups, I gather that the basics I would need are air filter and pull start covers, rear axle extenders, a phatdaddy rear shock brace, a better pipe, and maybe a front disk brake kit. Am I on the right track here and if so/no so what should I be adding or removing from my list?

Anyway thanks for any help in advance guys! :D

-Sid

See less See more
#3 ·
Out of all the cars at our club no one has had an baja clone yet. Going by internet chat the plastics are quite crappy. But for me the most obvious thing would be the motor, they are not up to scratch there for making it a waste of money.

They need a different sort of track to nitro/elec and there is no where in Brisbane yet.

You should have the basic radio gear if you have nitro's so the SS will be more economical for you than a RTR.

The only upgrade you 100% need is the Axel Extenders. The HPI air filter is quite good and you can make your own pull start cover with four zip ties and a piece of cloth. The SS comes with its own take on the Phatdad rear brace. Front brakes would suit a small track but there are very few guys running them.

The only thing I would get would be a few spares, dog bones, pinion bolt, spark plug.

#9 ·
ss dosent need axle extenders

Out of all the cars at our club no one has had an baja clone yet. Going by internet chat the plastics are quite crappy. But for me the most obvious thing would be the motor, they are not up to scratch there for making it a waste of money.

They need a different sort of track to nitro/elec and there is no where in Brisbane yet.

You should have the basic radio gear if you have nitro's so the SS will be more economical for you than a RTR.

The only upgrade you 100% need is the Axel Extenders. The HPI air filter is quite good and you can make your own pull start cover with four zip ties and a piece of cloth. The SS comes with its own take on the Phatdad rear brace. Front brakes would suit a small track but there are very few guys running them.

The only thing I would get would be a few spares, dog bones, pinion bolt, spark plug.

hi fellas the ss dosent need axle extenders

#4 ·
Its a knock off? :eek: From the pics etc I thought it looked legit lol. Ah well. "What's good to be true usually is".

I was leaning towards the SS anyway stevoo, the orange looks much cooler :D. Yes, I do have enough spare electronics to get the thing going so no worries there. It's unfortunate that there's nowhere in Brissy to race them yet, maybe somewhere on the coast?

So, does anyone know where the cheapest Baja SS kit including shipping is in Australia? Seems to be rchobbies.com.au at the moment.

Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
+1 on the clone - steer clear of it, I have first hand experiences with them, a friend bought one and ended up paying the same price as a HPI anyway as there were so many things he replaced due to breakages... the biggy was the engine.

If cash is a bit lean maybe look into a second hand baja, theres a few people sellling their rtr's at the moment to get an SS. You can take a RTR version and make it far superior to the SS in a few select upgrades, the SS isn't anything special, most bajas you see out there are hopped up way past the SS specs anyway. But if you have the cash and no baja then the SS is a good idea as you get to build it and know the thing inside out from the get go.

#7 ·
Haha, thanks for the heads up boys. I messaged that eBay seller and asked
"Is this a genuine HPI Baja 5B"?

He replied with, "This Baja is made in China, not Japan", so in other words cheap knockoff.

So just wanted to say thanks for the quick OMG NOOO DONT GET IT replies :)

I'll hopefully be getting one from rchobbies as they include postage, once funds (and the better half) allow hehe.

I'm not looking forward to building another SS tho lol. I helped a mate build his and that was fun enough for me lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.