Australian RC Forums banner

EP Boat Project

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  suzukiboy 
#1 ·
My parents had shutters installed yesterday to get rid of dodgy curtains and the guy that installed them runs a business called Big boys toys, which is mostly cheap chinese knock off crap RC stuff. Anyway because my parents spent X amount, we got to choose 2 free RCs. I already had a heli and a park flyer, so the only option that was something new was a boat. My brother got one as well.

Im a bit bummed about the stick controller as Im more comfortable with my pistol grips, but I guess this is where the fun begins :D. It all looks like pretty standard RC gear from what Ive seen, however I havent had a look in the radio box just yet. Im thinking the first thing Ill do is replace the 1700mAh Nicd with a 4200mAh NimH and EC3 connectors throughout. Might upgrade the motors to something a bit more high end (motors are 380 size) and maybe even look at getting some better props.

I suppose I will eventually go completely crazy and put a twin brushless setup in there with lipos and water cooling (the hull seems to have pre-marked holes for drilling)

Anyone else had one of these? how do they fair?

These are not my own photos, but its exactly the same (minus the non-functioning rudder)

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure the hull will justify the expense but if you want to replace the motors I'd suggest you get some decent Octura props and a metal rudder on there.

I've had a few boats myself, currently 2 yachts and a sub with another one under construction, but I'm keen to build a brushless cat having just seen what the Wraith 7k and Quark 33a can do to my mini LST. Some of the videos on youtube are insane, dual 800 AUD brushless motors with 30+ cells!

#5 ·
No expense in RC is justified :p whos leg are you pulling? the pictured one has a rudder but mine is just 2 props, both of the ones we have are actually. will check out the props though, especially if I go bigger motors.

As for cracking hulls - Ill be taking it to the national park (bundeena) where its fairly calm water and no shallow rocks. we have a pool but word is that its too fast for that.

#4 ·
Twiz,

A guy I know got something similar off fleabay.

The plastic is very brittle so the slightest hit and it cracked and it also took on water. Probably best to check joins out to make sure she is watertight and silicon as necessary.

But heck, it was a freebie - enjoy it!

Cheers,

Steve

#7 ·
I was all for it until the boats stopped working and the hulls cracked.

I didnt event hit anything with them and they just broke apart.

not much point putting in heavy duty electronics if its just going to break again. I do like boats though and im considering another more professional unit.

#9 ·
Hello
I bought one of these boats of ebay for $50 including postage, i bought as a retrieval boat for my yacht, it runs great as is, it heats up after 15 to 20 mins of running, batteries are alright. Batteries take ages to chrge though
Ive got enjoyment from the boat and it had saved me many a long swims, either cause ive sailed the yacht out of range or Ive used batteries twice and run out of steering power, either way this boat has done me well

hope that helps

Ciao Tim

#10 ·
yeah, esp when you use decent packs (4000+) it lasts for ever, good cheap fun!

id recommend getting a differnt hull though, as yes, they look quite brittle, and yes they take on water like anything. (battery submerged etc....)

#14 ·
LMAO. I love how it says high performance racting boat in the 2nd pic!

Maybe you should look into fiber glass sheets. I dont know much about it, but I think you can apply it to a surface and it will mould and stick to that surface. (?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.