: what starter box

gasket goo
29-11-2007, 05:00 PM
SCREAM SRY .just finished the mugen stuck it on the hyper 8 starter box and struggle struggle bad smell think i burnt it out (it never was any good )so should i get a mugen dedicated one or can somebody recommend a general purpose one :(

cm27456
29-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Hey man, the best starter box that i have come across is the thundertiger 1/10-1/8 starter box, all metal construction, almost indestructible...A+++

mtx4kid
29-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Truggy?

Anyway you should be heating up a new motor whilst running it in..

anf0
29-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Team Magic X5. Fastest starter box I've seen in my life.

Stoogey
29-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Most decent branded boxes will do the job fine, as long as you treat them right. Always preheat engines with lots of pinch, make sure your using a battery with lots of juice (gell cell or some high cap stick packs), and get your positioning pegs seated right so the wheel is engaging nothing but the flywheel (eg, pegs are off and the wheel hits the chassis and wears out the wheel etc).

MarkG
29-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm running a Hyper box for 1:8 buggy and Ofna for 1:8 truggy.

mtx4kid
29-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeh also using Ofna Truggy Box.

agressive1
29-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey

I have the OFNA one, its blue in colour.

Its really great can be used with both 12v gell cell of 2x 7.2v packs. Iam running the gell cell and have used the 2 7.2v, both do the same.

Spins up really quick for fast starting.

chicken_fart
29-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I cooked a motor too the other day, borrowed a friends thunder tiger and it was great, had more kick than my other one ever did. I've ordered the ofna chrome top starter box from a main, I've heard nothing but good things about it, hopefully it goes ok.
I think the best way to go is a starter box with one big motor instead of 2 small ones...

RustBucket
05-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I cooked a motor too the other day, borrowed a friends thunder tiger and it was great, had more kick than my other one ever did. I've ordered the ofna chrome top starter box from a main, I've heard nothing but good things about it, hopefully it goes ok.
I think the best way to go is a starter box with one big motor instead of 2 small ones...

Have you got the OFNA box yet? Let us know what you think of it?
Thx

chicken_fart
05-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi all, yes I have the box, it is great, my previous box was my first and it really made me hate the whole starting experience. So now that I've spent a bit extra and researched what I want its really changed my view.
The first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was that it is quite large, nearly twice as wide as my previous one, and the motor, its huge, when that bad boy spins up you can feel it in the ground, it does a great job.

Good points:
Nice big motor
Lots of mounting options
Durable design

Bad points:
Its big and heavy
Had to put it together (not too hard)
A bit tricky at first to fit the arena up to

So far I'm really stoked with it, it was tricky to get my arena to fit up, its sort of on a diagonal on the box but it starts really well and I'm yet to have any drama's with it.

RustBucket
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Have been looking around for one of these OFNA chrome top boxes and to get it shipped from A-Main the cheapest is around $80US just for shipping!
Is that what you had to pay ChickenFart?
Does anyone know where I could get one where the shipping doesn't cost more than the box itself?
Thanks

chicken_fart
07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah I payed a lot but I got a big order with lots of other stuff so I can't say exactly how much postage was, A-Main postage has gne to the dogs since they changed it all around, you no longer have the option to choose international air on larger orders you can only do the more expensive ones, sux bi time i reckon. Personally I haven't shopped at rc hobbies (site sponsor) but they seem to have some good deals going, try them.

X1CR Convert
19-01-2008, 12:40 PM
This q world starter box is great. Used it on my x1cr all season

http://www.ocrpitshop.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=56

Chrome and everything

You could always buy some beefier electric engines for your old starter box as well