Australian RC Forums banner

Diff Shimming?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Oblivion 
#1 ·
RE: Diff Shimming

See this

Is this really needed or has anyone done this mod?

milknbutter

#2 ·
HAHA, you have to log in/be registered to access that link.

what's the deal? I've heard that diffs need to be shimmed so there isn't too much play, otherwise they will just eat themselves out really quickly.

I haven't even opened my diff cases after 9 months of racing, so I've got no idea if it's important enough to worry about.

Cheers, Oggy

#3 ·
I would agree it's important to do... I've shimmed diffs to prevent the crown wheel rubbing on the case and tighten the gear mesh. Since doing that I've noticed that I have reduced the number of damaged 13t bevel gears.

My thoughts are that going to an alloy diff housing (like the one in the links) will do a lot to help save 13tbevel gears as well.
Edited by: Skidd

#5 ·
Morphy said:
Skidd said:
...will do a lot to help save bevel bears as well.

I didn't know that bevel bears were in danger! hehehe

LOL

Mate, they are so in danger!!

They are a particular species of bear with a flat angles forehead. They were common around Knox until savage owners found out that their heads make great jump ramps and so starting seeking them out. Of course if the savvy driver got the landing wrong then the bear would be wrecked and so he would have to find another one. It's sad to say that use savvy drivers have almost driven the bevel bear into extinction.

#6 ·
Do the shims go on the inside between the cup/pinion and the bearing OR on the outside between the bearing and the diif shaft? Does anyone do a shim kit? Is it necessary to do it to the 13T as well?

#7 ·
Bluey said:
Do the shims go on the inside between the cup/pinion and the bearing OR on the outside between the bearing and the diif shaft? Does anyone do a shim kit? Is it necessary to do it to the 13T as well? </font>

The above link to Savage Central explains it pretty well....

I find it best to shim the diff centre first (i.e. the 43t bevel gear
and it's associated mounting), I shim that by placing the shims between
the housing and the bearing.

Then shim the 13t by placing shims between the bevel gear and the bearing.

.... that's just my thoughts on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.