Australian RC Forums banner

cant find road tyres for 1/8 buggy

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  lancer8u 
#1 ·
hi guys

ive pretty much learnt that dirt tyres dont seem to last very long on the local tarmac track. can anyone recommend some good rubber for 1/8 buggies to be used on tarmac? also where can i buy some from?

so far the only kind i have heard of are road rage from proline....any other suggestions? i have looked around on the web and ebay and cant find anything. Does anyone know if a set of slicks would work very well on buggy's?

cheers

#2 ·
I know you can get foams for 1/8, but don't know where from. The pro-line road rage tyres are the ones i would have suggested. Alson pro-line Knuckles aren't too bad for the odd bit of tarmac work. Propably not the same grip level as a set of slicks, but better than using crimefighters or badlands.

Radio Models in Perth (www.radiomodels.com.au) are where i get my tyres from and they stock the pro-line range. Your only other bet would be to possibly go over seas

#3 ·
I brought a set of road tyres for my Hyper PBS from my local hobby shop (De Grandis) in Warrnambool, and they are really great and amazingly hard wearing since I do a bit of thrashing around car parks.

They are actually a Hobao tyre, so most suppliers would have them, but there maybe Proline options also, but I've never seen them

#4 ·
thanks guys. I didnt realise Hobao make road tyres, does you LHS have a website? Are the road tyres slick or have a radial style tread? I cant believe I may have to look overseas for a set of slicks for buggies...

i was thinking of using my badlands on tarmac but thought there was too much flex in the 'square block' tread.

#5 ·
Unfortunately the LHS isn't big enough to have a website. They have a radial tread pattern on them and work nicely. I can organise a photo of them for you when I get home this evening. If you like them, I think you maybe able to obtain them from Hobby Headquarters, which I think is based in NSW or somewhere.

#6 ·
have o look at the ofna web site, in particular this link:

http://www.ofna.com/tires-onroad.html

from what i can tell they are 1/8 on-road tires. The main menu page for the tyres say 1/8 on-road. Where to get them, a good starting point would be the LHS where you bought your hyper.

It always gets me when they start talking about 17mm tyre... Is that the height of the tyre over the rim i.e. rim diameter 100mm, tyre diameter 117mm???

#8 ·
ah thanks heaps, exactly what i was looking for...now to see if anyone in canberra can get them in.

as for the 17mm it could be simply referring to the standard hex drive hub for 1/8 buggy rims, as it has wheels included on some of those tyres..Edited by: lancer8u

#9 ·
lancer8u said:
as for the 17mm it could be simply referring to the standard hex drive hub for 1/8 buggy rims, as it has wheels included on some of those tyres..

Ahh, yes, hadn't thought of that. Would make sense when they are pre-mounted

#11 ·
hey mate, thanks for the offer, i've actually already got a set of hobao chrome rims ready to go for on-road use. (they seem to be a bit lighter than dish wheels too)

so im really only looking for a set of tyres ony, unless your price is really good

cheers

#13 ·
yeah the chromes not only look good but seem lighter than normal too.

I just bought 2 pairs of Great Vigor road tyres with radial tread for $16.50 a pair, at my LHS. Let's see how well they do.

Oh i was just wondering, these Tyres didnt come with foams...is foam needed for on-road use?

also, nitro addict . do i need to sand back the chrome in order to achieve the best adeshive surface for the tyres?

#14 ·
lancer8u, I haven't glued the tyres onto the chrome rims as yet since I'm only using them for display. But I reckon it would be a good idea to rough up the surface where the tyres are to be glued for best results.

With regards to foam for the road tyres, the ones I purchased had foam in them and they are really good......I'm just hanging for some wet weather so I can test my driftnig skills hehe

#17 ·
ah u serious? sounds 'fully sik bro'

ive actually just bought a hyper 7 clear shell. i have no idea how to paint it...do u need to prep it or anything or just go nuts with tamiya spray? i want paint it either bright red or metallic pink lol

also how does one create the cool flames designs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.