Australian RC Forums banner

Poblems with Twister CPX

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ollie1999 
#1 ·
I have recently bought a twister cpx. It was advertised as RTF but was not even close. After fixing a few issues i have it flying but when hovering just above the ground it constantly pulls and hovers to the left. The gyro is working well and i am not sure what to do about it. Im not sure if something is out of balance. I am new to helicopters so please explain in basics. thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Hey mate, welcome to the wonderful word of heli's, or not so wonderful at times

You will find that over time you will learn a lot about heli's.

One thing for you to check initially, is that the swash needs to travel up and down level. If the swash does not travel up and down level, then it can veer off to a side that has a link that is shorter than the others.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you need mate and I am sure many people will try to help.

Cheers Dave.

#3 ·
I bought a Twister 400 Sport and with full right trim it would go left and was impossible to hover. The swashplate was lopsided even at full right trim. I rang the shop and was told to check the pushrods. I found the aileron linkage was in the wrong servo horn hole which was causing the swashplate to be up on the right which resulted in it flying to the left. I moved the linkage one hole inwards and now it flies nicely. I can hover it and even fly it around the back yard and land on a bbq hot plate I'm using as a heli pad.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum Adam and bloke.

Adam, how far off the ground are you trying to hover? If it is within a foot or so you maybe getting wash/turbulence from the rotor this is where the air being pushed down from the rotors hits the ground and comes back up at the heli and blades, it can cause one side to loose lift. Try to get a bit of height between the heli and the ground quickly on take off and hover at a few feet.

Also maybe check that the heli is balanced in weight from left to right if it heavier on the left it may pull that way.

#5 ·
I had 2 x belt-cp's both supposed to be rtr. I had to reset all the linkages so when the servo horns were centred, the swashplate was level. You can buy a tool for swashplate adjustment. I also had to re-adjust the blade pitch.

#6 · (Edited)
After smacking it into the cupboard last night my Twister 400 aileron servo is now buzzing and won't budge from full down position.

Neither the store or the distributer MRA could provide any instructions for dismantling it to replace the servos other than start unscrewing and make sure you remember how it goes back together.

I am going to buy a new one and use the first one as parts. DSE has Twister 400 for $76 and the cost of buying just the servos is $29 so even MRA said buying another one is the cheapest option.

With respect to my earlier comment about the hovering problems, I found this forum post last night which suggests there is a factory assembly problem with this model. Mine had the exact same aileron pushrod problem out of the box. http://www.rcheliplanet.com/index.php?topic=7138.0

#7 ·
G'day Bloke, I own a Twister 400 and a CPX, steep learning curve but recently managed to get the 400 outdoors on an oval and with height and room it flies great. I also had a servo failure on the 400 but they are easy to replace and if you can buy another 400 it will assist with parts because if you are a beginner like me you will need them. overall though I am enjoy the hobby and can now get the CPX airborne and into Figure 8's as well. Hovering with both proved difficult at first but with small adjustments (I have found that nothing is really RTF out of the box) and perseverance (and at least a metre of height) it eventually becomes easier.

#8 · (Edited)
I am finding the real thing (twister 400) easier to fly than any of my simulators. Hovering is a synch even in a slight breeze. The only problem is my back yard is too small. Indoors is way too small as I have found. I am tempted to go try it in the local park but most parks have signs excluding the flying of RC aircraft. The new 400 flies better straight out of the box than my original one with the buggered servo did even after the servo arm modification.

The new one didn't want to bind to the original radio until I saw a video on youtube by a guy who said to turn on the receiver while the Tx lights are still flashing. Once I did that it bound immediately.

#9 ·
Definitely need to get a larger area to fly, I spent a month in a small back yard and thought that was good, went to a local footy oval and had a blast, just a pity the flight time from the battery is only about seven minutes. still the CPX gets around ten to fifteen minutes but I'm still not real flash with it yet.

#10 ·
Twister CPX Vibration problem

I have a twister CPX and had quite a bad crash. I've taken it apart and done a complete rebuild. And I also replaced the following parts:
Tail Boom
Main Shaft
Tail propellers
spindle shaft
and the driving belt
But after several times of sitting down and trying to figure it out it still vibrates as it's about to take off. can someone please help me with this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.