Australian RC Forums banner

Olive green smoke packets...different taste ?

16K views 64 replies 21 participants last post by  xr8ute 
#1 ·
Any of the smokers out there see a different taste in their smokes from the original packs to the new *** green packs ?? The green packs don't taste the same and taste like ass

It's not mental thinking as I even dumped new smokes in an old pack I had that was still half full and mixed em up and they are noticeabley different ?

I've tried Dunhill blue Winfield blue and gold Benson hedges rich and smooth peter Stuyvesant classics and filter and they all taste the same where the old packs taste different from one another ??

And if you notice they are all made in Australia and have the same phone number on the side of the pack

****ing shlt I say ! Green packaging to cover up another sneaky move of the government ....no more importing of foreign smokes so that they can make everything here and collect twice the amount of money per pack

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
Hint, hint mate.... i think they are trying to make you give up... either that or kill you all you dirty smokers off ha ha

#9 ·
Well said mate and it probably has a bit to do it. They want to make smoking as unapealing as possible. Looks and flavor is being altered just to get as many people to quit as possible.

Also government is not making any money from you smokers. That is the most stupid comment i have ever read. Even if you smoke two packs a day the revenue raised from your smoking pales in comparison to what it takes to keep a smoker alive for just one week after they develop lung cancer. It costs stupid amounts of money. Not having a go at you smomekers (although I do hate the smell and wish everyone would quit) but just stating a simple fact. Government would not be going at this length to try and get people to quit if they were making money from them. If they were making money they would just run a few quit adds on tv to apear to be caring for our health and well being and just leave the smokes and packaging as it is. Thats certainly not the case.
Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
Yah...they taste a lot different to the old stuff

When you smoke close to 2 packs a day it's very noticeable

I remember when they brand that fire retardant **** out ...first smoke I wanted to spew....second smoke and I threw the full pack out the window as I was driving and started smoking roliies

Bloody unbelievable.....****ing Gillard government

#6 ·
Any of the smokers out there see a different taste in their smokes from the original packs to the new *** green packs ?? The green packs don't taste the same and taste like ass
YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE THE PACKET!!!!

I've only just bought my first green pack, of 'Rich Sky Blue' Drum rollie tobacco... I'll let you know if it tastes different to 'the old one..'

#8 ·
I haven't taken much notice myself, I smoke choice blue so they taste like crap anyway, maybe it will make me give up sooner, more money for RC then.
will have to try out some Longbeach or PJ's or something & see how they taste now. I'm getting some of them Champix tabs next friday so won't be smoking much longer anyway.

#10 ·
if they didnt want people to smoke....dnt sell smokes? its just like cocaine....they dont want people on cocaine hence why its not sold in stores and its an even bigger killer than cigeretes

80% if not more of what you pay for a pack of smokes is tax believe it or not.... the storeowner makes about 10% on a pack

and appealing or not....if they didnt like people smoknig its simple enough to pull all packets off shelves and stop sellnig them

i think its a cover up for them to make the smokes in australia rather than importing them and they use the green packets to cover it up

#12 ·
While I'm sure they do make heaps of money out of selling a packet, as bigblock said they probably spend just as much if not more on keeping sick smokers alive in the public health system. I've always wondered why not just ban them, cos if anything else was killing so many people a year it would be banned, far less people have died from asbestosis yet asbestos is illegal (not trying to downplay asbestos here, just highlighting my point). But recently it has occurred to me that unless Tue cigarettes are banned all over the world and manufacturing is just stopped people will import them illegally, just like drugs, maybe. Either that or there's just too many smokers in the government that don't want to give up their ciggies. Who knows

#11 ·
They have been making smokes in Australia for years mate.
My dad worked there for 12 years. Maybe it's just in our heads cause I don't really notice any difference and I don't smoke regularly so I would notice the change in taste?

#13 ·
I read a long time back, something written by the Cheif Economist employed by the then Liberal Govt....He stated in his review that if everyone gave up smoking or the Govt banned smoking, the Govt would be forced to push fuel prices to $10 per litre just to recoup the losses from the Taxes the govt reaps on Cigarette taxes and Excise.
This was a statement made close to 10 years ago under the Howard Govt.

As a result of his findings, the Govt raised a new tax...it was called a Stick Tax and was per cigarette....really think the Govt wants Smokers to give up.....Not a chance, they want it to look like they want smoking to stop while reaping Billions in tax every year.

They even reduced the number of cigarettes you could bring in Duty Free, so as to increase revenue. 2 packets instead of 2 cartons means more tax to the Govt....not less smokers

Currently, around 76% of all tobacco sales in Australia goes to the Govt in Tax, only 24% goes to the cost of growing and manufacturing the product

Read these articles and see for yourself

http://www.bata.com.au/group/sites/BAT_7WYKG8.nsf/vwPagesWebLive/DO7WYLAS?opendocument&SKN=1

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/pol...ll-for-hospitals/story-e6frgczf-1225859974403

And if you are still unsure of the facts...read this one...it clearly shows treasury estimates on expected tax revenue for the years ahead....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/where-theres-smoke/story-e6frezz0-1226426102112

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just so you know My business ACU Group Pty ltd unloads ALL of the shipping containers of smokes that comes into NSW (which go up to QLD and north via truck from Sydney). I can assure you that the smokes still come from the same suppliers that they always did and the only difference that plain packaging will make is that it will force the price of a packet of snokes even higher raining even more tax revenue for the government.

Don't blabber the government foyer profiting from a self destructive habit like smoking..

#19 ·
What about all the other bad habits that are just as self destructive...at least smokers only hurt themselves...ever had to scape a smoker off the road after he ploughed his car into a bus load of kids....I have had to scrape up drinkers that have...no less self destructive, but you dont see the Govt throwing taxes at booze to the same degree that they do smokes...I have never seen a smoker go off the rails and King Hit someone in a public place because of a smoke fuelled rage either, but they dont force alcohol companies to Plain Package Booze, and I have never seen a guy come home after a smoke and beat the crap out of his wife, but I can show you dozens of battered women and children that have been emotionally destroyed by Booze related violence living in refuges and shelters as a result of alcohol abuse...it is all about the money, nothing more

Reactions: crisis time
#15 ·
I remember hearing something like that myself Towie, without the smoking taxes the govt would lose a huge amount of money, but yeah if it was banned like other things have been then it wouldn't be such a problem. They want people to think they are doing something about it but really, their doing stuff all, they should phase it out completely over 5 years or so.

#17 ·
Anyhow, have a Winfield!

#18 ·
Reformed smokers are the worst....lol

I had a guy in hospital with me 18 months ago, he was a reformed smoker, 36 years off them, and he said he still had cravings all the time, he died not long after we started rehab of a Non Smoking Related Disease.

You are right...the Govt does owe us something, and not just smokers, but All of us...it is called the Truth...hiding a multi billion dollar industry behind an Olive Green package that will do nothing to stop people smoking, and their own advisors have told them as much...how about them just telling us the truth....They cant afford for us to all give up smoking, because then they would have to make real tax reforms and that would be unpopular...better to have 24% of us (the smokers) dirty on them, than to have 100% of the country against them because the only other industry they can tax into oblivion is fuel or alcohol

#20 ·
Why is it that non smokers have taken it on themselves to make smokers lives harder?

Pull the thorn out of your own A55, before looking at fixing my habits.

Reactions: crisis time
#21 ·
So ssmoking is a bigger killer than alcohol but they still let people smoke and drive ?

I'm bit confused with your last comment Pete lol

#25 ·
I had 2 family members die from smoking, my father died 3 years ago & my auntie 3 months ago....I watched my dad die in ICU not a pretty sight its still haunts me today....

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

#26 ·
Non Smoker or Smoker, really doesnt make much difference, when your time is up, it is up, smoking is known to contribute to things like Cancer, Heart Disease, and so on, but it is not exclusive...

Brother 30 Leaukemia Never Smoked
Father 60 Leaukemia Reformed Smoker 20 years
Uncle 80 Leaukemia Non Smoker
Grandfather (dads) 80 Heart Failure Non Smoker
Grandfather (mums) 65 Heart Failure Smoker
Grandmother (dads) 80 Heart Failure Non Smoker
Grandmother (mums) Stroke Non Smoker
Great Aunt (mums) Stroke Non Smoker
Daughters Mother 20 Killed by a drink driver Non Smoker
Daughter 24 months, Perfectly healthy, Killed by a drunk driver (I wasn't in the car)....please... tell me how smoking is a killer....Get the Drunks off the roads and stop harrassing the scape goat smokers, at least we dont kill other people, no matter how disgusting our habit is, most of us are considerate of others and dont smoke around non-smokers, but I sure wish the asshole drink driver had been a smoker instead of a drinker.

#27 · (Edited)
Mate although I'm guessing it was a while ago now I'm sorry for your loss.
I definitely agree, drink driving and just excessive drinking in general is a far bigger problem than smoking. And the worst part is screw all is being done about it. I can't remember seeing an anti drink driving ad for a long time now, though I've seen plenty of anti smoking ads.
To be honest the way I see it is its the persons choice whether they smoke or not. For their own benefit I would prefer it if people didn't, but I'm certainly not going to try and force quitting on people. We were created with free will, so why take that away from people, what they choose to do is up to them. It just makes it a lot harder when its someone you care about and you can see it harming them. And the fact is people do still die as a result of smoking, it may not be as many as are killed as a result of alcohol but it does still happen.
As for alcohol it is a massive problem. While I have not personally lost any friends to alcohol, my sister lost a 14 yr old friend from a king hit from a drunk idiot at a party who was underage so got away with it. I find excessive drinking and all the problems that go with it disgusting, I always have. Personally I am not a drinker, I will have maybe two drinks at the most at one time if I drink at all. I don't wish to ever be in a situation where I am not in control of myself and be able to make rational decisions. Unfortunately I seem to be the exception rather than the norm.
Nothing is done about the alcohol problem, they talk big and never do anything. The only reason I can think of is because of what you said, so many people drink that the backlash against the government would be huge, and the last thing the government wants is to be unpopular. What this country really needs is someone willing to do whatever needs to be done no matter how unpopular it makes them. Unfortunately no matter who is elected they are always going to be limp wristed.
It just sucks. All these deaths as a result of either smoking or alcohol are avoidable, and its sad to see the aftermath of either.

#28 ·
gave up drinking eighteen or nineteen years ago.

Nursed my mother thru alcohol withdrawl when she was 79 (that was ..-fun-..)

Dont mind if others drink... as long as they dont drive as well.

I smoke.. I try to keep away from others when I do. or downwind.

#29 ·
Dont mind if others drink... as long as they dont drive as well.

I smoke.. I try to keep away from others when I do. or downwind.[/QUOTE]

I will probably drink at a special occasion but that's bout it....last time I had a drink was at a mate's place where the boys all got together and that was it ...never been a fan of drinking and only once I drove under the influence....had a beer for my mate's 18th at lunchtime when we where having a bbq and I waited time 2am to go home LOL

smokers are getting treated like criminals compared to drink drivers ....or dangerous drivers ...6 months for drink driving and 18months for over 45 kph and re do driving and knowledge test like wtf ??

#30 ·
I like the people that comment on the smell.....and it makes me wonder what is wrong with their noses.....

have they ever been forced to stand next to someone who has consumed way to much booze, the stench of Stale beer, urine and vomit....yeah but that apparently is acceptable

or the Woman walking through a shopping centre that loves her perfume that much, she applies it like sheep dip, and has no idea that she smells like she just took a bath in cats pee

and of course an old fav of mine....a labourer that hasnt discovered deodorant yet....been a long day in the sun, with no doedorant on at all, and then they sit next to you at the food court where you are trying to eat a nice salad and all you can smell is stale perspiration

is it not bad enough that smokers are forced to stand in car parks in the blistering sun, rain or chilling winds, like leapers, because of an addiction (smoking is not a habit) and a Legal one at that, but absolute wankers randomly walk up to them and say "You know that'll kill ya" Well thanks Capt Obvious, I never would have known

would they be as brave or bold or just plain rude enough to walk up to a 23 stone fellow in a pub and say "You know that'll root ya liver or cause you to go home and beat the crap out of your wife and kids" or an everweight/obese person about to chow down on a pile of grease, and throw around something along the lines of " you're gonna get diabetes and ya richard will stop working if you eat that"

I see Random people comment to smokers all the time and wonder, are they so bloody perfect that they have earned the right to comment...the absolute worst part of the whole scenario, their comments dont help anyone, they are nothing more than rude and uncalled for, but it would appear that most Non-smokers don't consider smokers as anything less than second class citizens, destroying the world, I see criminals treated with more respect and compassion.

Smoking is an Addiction, and one of the hardest to break...nicotine cravings cause no end of distress..dizziness, anxiety, hot and cold sweats, just to name a few, and failing to quit time and time again leaves you with a great feeling of satisfaction (not), to top it off, when you are feeling worthless after yet another failed attempt to quit, some perfect asshole wanders up and tells you how utterly pathetic you are.....yet the same person will bestow no end of adulation on a heroin addict for attempting to quit and failing....or sympathize with some toad that has just lost their licence for getting boozed to the eyeballs and driving their car...it all seems to me that societies standards are completely screwed up, and the wrong people are being made the villians...

Smoking, while not being very popular with the larger part of the community...Is Legal

#57 ·
I like the people that comment on the smell.....and it makes me wonder what is wrong with their noses.....
Serious? It bloody stinks and so does the other stuff you mentioned, but that is not the topic. You say you don't smoke around others and other people say oh buy I don't smoke around my kids, but I bet you or they don't change clothes, wash hair or clean breath before you/they see someone again. The smell is almost worse than the smoke itself.

Having said all that I have never smoked one in my life so I don't know what it's like from a smokers perspective but from mine it's my single biggest hate and annoyance in life. Only my uncle smokes in my extended family which is unusual but most do in my wife's family, so I've had to deal with that close up. I can tell you which of the collective groups has more health issues.
As I said before its all about choice I don't care if people want to smoke, but don't take my choice away not too.

#31 ·
actually...
I'm a chain smoker (I know, I shouldnt smoke chains...) but I do understand what the complaint is.

try this:
have a hot shower, fill the bathroom in steam.
have someone walk in with a lit cigarette.
..you'll understand then.

Smokiing can dull your sense of smell, the steam opens it back up, and the mixture of steam and smoke is almost as bad as that dead wine/beer smell.

I used to drink, even brewed my own for a while.
but what 'cured' me was going to a BBQ one evening after a hot day,

..the beer was early..(drank too much)

..the food was late...(didnt eat enough)

and I was history!! (got alcoholic poisoning, kidneys shut down for a few days..)

Havent been able to touch a drop since without it going straight through me, and taking everything else with it for three days...

I just cant stand drunk drivers... habitual alcoholics who drive -usually- are not the problem, they know their limitations. Its occasional drinkers who have a few too many, and misjudge how the alcohol has affected their distance/speed judging ability who cause the accidents. Christmas/new year time is usually the worst.

#32 · (Edited)
Some brands of cigarette do smell much stronger than others, I think camel is one of the worst. But to be honest the smell doesn't bother me that much. I would much rather stand next a smoker than any of those things you described there Pete. The body odour is the worst, I deal with that every day at work, we have some people who haven't discovered deoderant and they smell bad enough when they arrive in the morning let alone at the end of the day, cigarettes smell really nice by comparison, lol.

I would never say anything to a random stranger about smoking, not my place, but I have said things to friends (and only close friends who I have known for years, so they know me well enough to know I'm either having a joke or trying to look out for them) about smoking and drinking and drugs for that matter. Of all those things drugs and alcohol are the ones that bother me the most.
I certainly wouldn't put all non smokers in that disrespectful basket though. Most of my longest friends (and the short ones too :p) are smokers, doesn't mean I think any less of them. If they drink or drug drive instant loss of respect, if they lose a licence because of it, serve them bloody right, there's no place for sh!t like that in my eyes. I eventually stopped going to parties cos all they did was drink or smoke weed etc, why they thought it was fun was beyond me, cos it sure as hell wasn't fun to be around them.
I'd much rather sit at a table with a few smokers who are sober than non smokers who are sh!tfaced from one thing or another.

Some people might be that arrogant and self righteous, but please don't put us all in that basket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.