Australian RC Forums banner

OBR Toxic Twin Build

17K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  sperera 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been following Maxits thread with great interest of the past few weeks and thought I'd have a go at doing a build thread myself. I bought and built the 5SC kit a few months back, wasn't really interested in it once finish and thought to sell it on eBay to help fund a turbine project I've got sitting in the back of my head.

No takers for the 5SC on eBay so what to do? Saw some options on Twins, with there being both a water cooled version and an air cooled version. Water cooled looked a little complicated and maybe somewhat fragile for bashing so I ordered the air cooled Toxic Twin from TGN last week.

Fedex deliverd on Monday just passed and the fun has begun. I bought the kit which includes all the parts needed to install into the Baja which is good value at approximately $2k delivered including customs duties.

Was somewhat surprised when I opend the box to notice the engine was just thrown in loose with a heap od scrunched up brown paper, no plastic bag, no bubble wrap or any form of additional protection. Thankfully Fedex were careful in this case and no damage done.

There was some tape over the exhaust ports but nothing over the intake and on closer inspection there were large amounts of filings in the clutch housing and around most parts of the engine. I ended up striping the top of the engine down and washing it thoroughly in petrol as I could't be sure the filings hadn't gotten into the crankcase during transport.

That was the first issue, Second issue was there was no instructions and no hardware to mount the exhausts to the chassis but to Sean at OBR's credit he did offer to post the missing hardware kit and answered all question I had very promptly. A trip to Lee Brothers Engineering in Nth Parramata solved the issues with missing screws.

Hoping to finish over the weekend so I can fire it up on Monday cause Wednesday I'm off to Ceduna in S.A and planning to have some fun in the Nullabor with this beast along with my FG Leopard 4WD. No one there to complain about the noise and plenty of space :)

I am using the follwing hopups, if its not mentioned then it's stock HPI or I forgot.

Turtle Racing HD Clutch 17T
Turtle racing Quick diff
Threshold rear hubs
Tourex clutch (6800rpm setting)
Dark Soul steel gear 57T
Turtle Racing rear top plate, with HD Brake mount (included in OBR kit)
Team Chase Full Cage
Multiplex Rhino Digi 4 Steering Servo
Hitec HS-7955TG Throttle / Brake Servo
Futaba 4PK Radio

Ordered but still waiting on-
Turtle Racing front & rear HD shock braces
PSR Triple CF brakes

Future Upgrades - only as parts break but I've said that before then generally buy before it breaks anyway :)

Some Pictures - more to come when I can get outside in the sunlight.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Gas
Gas Nickel Auto part Machine Automotive lighting
Circuit component Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Electronic component Gas
Font Wood Groupset Plastic Flooring
Surface lure Fish hook Fishing bait Bait Fishing lure
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks awsome. Seen a couple of vids of them going, looks like you are going to be having some fun.

#3 ·
be very interesting to see how this goes.

They do look awesome and I am yet to hear something like the twins. Just beautiful lol

#5 ·
that looks great

pipes look too exposed for bashing though

fired her up yet?

#7 ·
That looks sick. When you get back from SA why don't you come and join the Baja section at SSME and race your FG. When your a member you can go out to the track when ever you like with no complaints from neighbours.

#8 ·
Krusty mate it looks like the 1/5th hobby had certainly evolved for you mate.
We did see Krusty out at the track a couple of years back with a very powerful and fully blinged Baja.
It would be good to see you back mate, there's another FG leopard racing in 4x4 class, you should give it a crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
I have seen one of these twins in action and it just powerstands all over the place. My view is that the engine needs to be mid mounted to get some weight forward, then you can mash the throttle and not have an instant backflip. So much power and no weight makes everyone happy. Kind of makes you wanna take an RM 50 motorcycle engine and drop that in, wonder if there is a servo strong enough to change gears :)

#10 ·
now this is a project! heard allot of great things about the twins, looking foward to following this build!

#11 ·
Quick update.....
Mr Baja, bashing is not an issue with the Team Chase roll cage which is in the attached pictures. A bit of Dremel fun getting it to fit but should provide plenty of protection for everything except for what it hits :)
XR8Ute, was actually out Luddenham way a few open days back observing the action and listening to you tear into a few over zealous drivers inside the container....heheheh. I promise I will get out there sign up eventually but I'd like to be in a position where I can commit the time to both the racing and prep days.
I work mostly nights from home so while I have plenty of time to build I have almost no time or oportunity to actually drive my toys. I do on occasion fire up the blinged up TS beast you saw out Luddenham a couple years back fot some hot laps up and down my front street while the neighbors are at work. I have a good collection of 1/5 scale cars and buggies including, 2 Baja's, the Baja 5SC, FG Leopard 4WD Competition, FG EVO 10 Competition, FG 2010 F1, FG Monster Jeep Competition and various other Tamiya electrics.

Pictures of the roll cage...hoping to fire it up on Monday ready to pack for my trip to S.A on Wednesday. Sorry if they are a bit dark, I'll get better pictures when I can get outside in the sunlight or onto the kitchen table when the wife isn't looking :)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

#12 ·
Lmao ....... Krusty you should have said hello mate.

Classic you caught me getting stuck into Mr.Baja .... Jonny you poor bugger!! He's a good boy really .

When you do get the time K it would be great to have you as a member mate.

Cheers

Dean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Some more pictures with better light. I'm of similiar opinion about engine temps especially with the body on as the engine will be enclosed and there's not much airflow. I'll probably run it wthout the body anyway for a while and check the temps to see just how hot it gets. I have one of those infrared temp guns so no problems checking just how hot various parts get. Might cut out some holes in the front windscreen on the body and put some fine alloy mesh just to aid cooling if necessary.
Still haven't managed to start it, been flat out at work so I can go on holidays so the first start will be somewhere in far western NSW. Need to pack some spares and tools not to mention paddles :) I will try to get some video of it in action but I'm travelling alone so might be tough to drive and hold the camera.

Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Machine tool Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive design
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

#16 ·
Deano you bring back memories of when i was in high school of a certain teacher i had, only saw him once a week for 1 period for a stupid class that i cant remember what it was (hence how interested i was in it) and every time i saw him i would get yelled at and get into trouble for something

aahhhhhh im goin to sleep

#18 ·
Finally started it today and f$&k me it's loud!!! I thought my TS reed engine with Dominator pipe was loud but it only disturbs the dead, this twin wakes the dead then bitch slaps them back to life...heheheh. Ceduna in S.A used to be a quiet town but not anymore. The Nullabor is about 300km west of here so I'll go for a drive on Monday and play in the sand for the day. I'll upload some pictures when I can figure out how on the iPad.
Should be back in Sydney on the 30th so may get out to luddenham for open day and finally get signed up. Dean if you can pm me the amount I need to pay to join on the 31st I'll get a money order done and bring it with me or I can pay cash.
Going to go fit the poco switch as the engine stop button is buried under the pipe where it's impossible to reach without a stick or burnt fingers.

#21 ·
jeez theres not much clearance between the gear cover and the rear tyre. Im guessing that 5b wheels cant be fitted with these twins?

either way, it looks nuts!!
5B wheels fit fine as I'm using my paddles on it at the moment without any clearence issues, prolly a bit of an optical illusion as there's about 10-15mm clearence to the gear cover. I am running the Hostile racing rear hubs with 3 Deg toe in as well.

#20 · (Edited)
Took the twin up the sandhills today not far from where I'm staying which was great fun. Count me in for sure on the next Stockton outing as this thing is incredible with paddles. One observation is not to stop or slow down in the softer sand as with the extra weight in the rear end it just bogs in and won't move. Managed to get my friends son to shoot some video with my phone and I'll get it uploaded on my return.
Now the bad part....after some serious thrashing around the sandhills the engines exhaust note changed. I thought possibly it had run out of fuel as I'd been running for 30 or so minutes but not so much above half throttle so it shouldn't have been that low. I stopped to have a look and noticed the insulator manifold where it bolts up to the head on 1 cylinder had come loose and was flapping about with only a few threads stopping it from completely falling off. Now I'll have to strip the motor down for the second time to see if it sucked any sand in to the bore.
First strip down was for loose aluminium filings in and around the intake from where they machined them but I didn't remove the insulator from the head so this latest stuff-up is pure OBR not using threadlock.
I've already fired off a please explain to Sean at OBR asking if they'll warrant any engine damage from sand entering the cylinder due to their poor quality assembly process.
On a positive note to finish, the Twin starts after a few pulls and once warm starts first pull. Throttle response is near instant and with paddles it'll rooster tail sand 15-20 metres.
Pictures and video on my return to Sydney this coming Friday. If the strip down shows no sand in the engine I'll bring it out the the open day at SSME on the 31st

#23 ·
Got back home yesterday and was keen to strip the motor down which I did today and in short the motor is fully f*&ked !!! There was a ton of sand sucked into one of the cylinders when the manifold came loose and it'll need to be sent back to the states to be fixed. All this could have been avoided by using a dab of loctite on the screws but OBR don't loctite these particular screws. Their theory is by not using loctite then the screws won't be striped when being removed, this logic boggles my mind. I'll fire off another email to OBR tonight stating that I want them to fully rebuild this motor and pickup all the shipping costs. Below are a few pictures of the damage

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Product Gas Auto part Machine Nut
Gas Machine Auto part Nut Nickel

#25 ·
Got back home yesterday and was keen to strip the motor down which I did today and in short the motor is fully f*&ked !!! There was a ton of sand sucked into one of the cylinders when the manifold came loose and it'll need to be sent back to the states to be fixed. All this could have been avoided by using a dab of loctite on the screws but OBR don't loctite these particular screws. Their theory is by not using loctite then the screws won't be striped when being removed, this logic boggles my mind. I'll fire off another email to OBR tonight stating that I want them to fully rebuild this motor and pickup all the shipping costs. Below are a few pictures of the damage

View attachment 11671
View attachment 11672 View attachment 11673
Mate'

Thats a bit of bad luck hope they fix that for you.

Good luck

Cheers

#26 ·
Some video of the action a few minutes before self destruction...Still in negotiations with OBR about who pays the postage back to them, I'm of the opinion they should pay as it's their stuff up that caused the problem. They did offer to send all the required parts needed to rebuild the engine but I'd prefer them to do it so there's still some form of warranty.

Video was shot on a Nokia N8 by a young fella who was kind enough to help me out, also this is my first attempt at a YouTube video so excuse me if it's not so good.

#27 ·
Some video of the action a few minutes before self destruction...Still in negotiations with OBR about who pays the postage back to them, I'm of the opinion they should pay as it's their stuff up that caused the problem. They did offer to send all the required parts needed to rebuild the engine but I'd prefer them to do it so there's still some form of warranty.

Video was shot on a Nokia N8 by a young fella who was kind enough to help me out, also this is my first attempt at a YouTube video so excuse me if it's not so good.

Pretty cool on the sand.

I would think about the shipping if there willing to repair it?

Cheers

#28 ·
Postage back to them is approx $150 which I'm hesitent to pay since wtf should I pay for their stuff up?? Posted another video showing some of the damage, I'll wait till I hear back from them later tonight. I've already bought a box and bubble wrap in reddiness to mail it back to them. I'll fork out the $150 only if I have no other choice but I'm also ****ed that it'll take 3-4 weeks to get it back. The first video I posted was basically the first good run I'd given it apart from a few runs up and down the street to check nothing fell off. Cost me just over 2k including customs duties and it lasted less then 1 tank....I'm fully ****ed with these guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.