Australian RC Forums banner

GV Brushless Cage parts and XTM XT2E RTR brushless 1/8 buggy parts

15K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  BIG-block 
#1 ·
Will XTM XT2 RTR brushless 1/8 scale buggy parts work with GV Brushless Cage?

I have a GV brushless Cage and it is easier and cheaper to get XTM parts in the USA. I am wondering about the differential housing and the suspension arms(front and back).

Thanks.

#3 ·
So similar but not quite the same. Rear suspension arms are the same (from what I can see) but the bulkheads, shock towers, front suspension arms, front CVs, and few other bits and ends. The XTM Rail and XTM XT2e have a different bulkheads than the Cage. Cage has more of the traditional buggy bulkhead and diff setup but the XTMs are setup with a diff housing inside the bulkhead.

I am running a XTM XT2 front end on my Cage. I opted for it because it uses a C-hub design on the front end which I think is a lot stronger. The rear is still the same but might upgrade that too. IMO the XTM has a better setup. Diffs are sealed off better and the front suspension is a lot better.

If you want pics of the different setup maybe I can get around to taking some for you during the week. Let me know.

#5 ·
Not what I meant. They will fit the Cage but they are different between each other. Chassis on the cage and the XTM rail are same. The bulkhead on the XTMs are hollow and open. You can see a diff housing inside them through the square hole in the chassis. If you can get a whole front or rear end of a XTM Rail (or even better the XT2 front end) it will bolt directly to the Cage chassis.

Anyway I'll get you some pics either tomorrow or Wednesday.

#7 ·
OK. Got around to doing it.

Here is a pic of the Cage front end suspension setup.

Here is a XTM XT2 front suspension setup.

The suspension setup is the main difference I wanted to go to the XTM XT2 setup. It looks and feels much sturdier.

Here is a pic of the top of the Cage bulkhead.

Here is the top of the XTM XT2 bulkhead.

#8 ·
Here is a the bottom of the Cage bulkhead. Notice how it is sealed. (Sorry but it is still attached to the car)

Here is the bottom of the XTM XT2 bulkhead. Notice how it is open and you can see that it has a diff housing inside. Cage doesn't have a diff housing. On the Cage the bulkhead it self acts a the diff housing. The XTM Rail has the same setup with in regards to the bulkheads and the diffs.

Not sure on which bulkhead setup is stronger but I have options so will try both and report back. Also while the bulkheads are different and the XTM versions have a diff housing the pinion gear, ring gear, diff out drives and the diff cup (carrier) are the same between all the three models (maybe a few more as well but IDK). Front CVs are apparently a little different between the XTM XT2 buggy and the Cage/Rail. Not sure if Cage CVs would work with the XT2 front.

Anyway if you are thinking of buying XTM Rail parts for your Cage te only difference is in the bulkheads and some minor differences in the front and rear shock towers but with the towers they are compatible on either. If you want to get parts from the XTM XT2 buggy for your Cage then maybe PM me just to confirm if it will work with your Cage. There are a number of differences there.

Also if you are thinking of changing the motor in your Cage to something bigger like a 40mm diameter motor like Castle 1515, Leopard 4074, Tacon 4074.........a smaller spur gear would be a lot of help. With a smaller spur gear you can move the motor away from the side chassis giving you more room for bigger diameter motor. The GV part number is MV22832. It's the 48T spur gear from the nitro Cage. With my Castle 1515 1Y motor (2200kv) I am running 16/48 gearing and getting great results on 4S and 5S.

#15 ·
CLICK HERE. The guy that runs the place is called John and he seems like a pretty good bloke. Yous put all your stuff you want to buy in the cart and leave a message for him to send you a Paypal invoice. When you get it just log into Paypal and then click on the invoice link he sends you. While he does have credit card payment facility it is only available to the US residents. We have to pay with Paypal. Last order took just over a week to arrive.

#14 ·
Ok.....

It was my job internet connection. It was filtering out the pics. I can see them now. XTM does look like a good setup. I guess if mine breaks I'll think about switching over. It is nice to know that most of the parts are interchangable. I ran across a hobby shop having a clearance sale and I picked up the spur gear and the main diff gear for a buck each. I guess the parts are out there, i just need search a little harder.

#17 ·
Just an updat to this thread. I have just had a better look inside the front diff of the XTM XT2 buggy. While the pinion and ring gears are the same the internals of the diff are very different. It's actually a planetary gear set inside rather than bevel gears. My front end came from a nitro version of the XT2 so I don't know about the XT2e diffs. They could either be planetary or bevel. Either way the Rail and the Cage have the exact same diff cup, bevel gears, outdrives, pinion and ring gear. That I know for sure.

#24 ·
No tuning, quieter, cheaper in the long run. I have a Baja if I want to make some noise.
Don't say that mate. LOL. Some newbie will take it literally. There is the initial gearing choice. I guess that is what someone can call a tuning process in a brushless vehicle. Once the gearing is spot on (no overheating components) it's just mash the trigger finger and go for the gusto. It is once only thing you have to do and if you leave some leave way you should be fine on even hottest of the days.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.