Australian RC Forums banner

Tips on TT-01 Spur Gear Please

25K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  robbie123 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I've got myself a TT-01 couple months ago and been plain enjoying it but it's seen better days, well not completely. The suspension arms and steering linkage has become more loose and gearing is ruined. I don't know but when I bought the brushless system Hobbywing EZRUN 8.5T 4300Kv that very night I messed up the spur gear. I took off the spur & pinion gear cover bit at roll the car to get the gears moving and I noticed the spur gear is.. bent and the pin thing mechanism that locks the spur gear to the shaft has come off. So I put everything back together, the pin thing that locks the spur gear to the shaft also slided the circular piece on to the spur gear then re mounted the motor and same thing happened very soon after. Now the gears won't even allow the car to roll backwards, me mate told me to get the 21T pinion gear because that 19T with my motor is too much for the spur gear to handle. No idea what that means but i'm getting a new 55, 58 and 61T spur gear set and a 20, 21T pinion gear set. So I was wondering what combination do you guys recommend? The boys are just messing around with drag races for now so i'm looking for high end speed, how about a 55 spur & 21 pinion?

Thanks

#2 ·
I'm guessing you're using the stock tub, if so, your gearing options are kinda limited. Here's the gearing chart for the TT01;

Also, I don't really understand what you're trying to say about the spur gear. But, the little/shorter shaft that goes through the spur gear to the main shaft and rear diff housing, have you checked that the little gear inside the diff housing is still on that shaft? Apart from that, I don't really know what else it could be. :(

#3 ·
I have a 4300kv EZrun in my TT-01 and I have had no troubles at all running the standard gearing of 19t / 61t.

In fact I'd say it's about right for that motor on a 2s Lipo given that I can bash it around a track flat stick for 20mins without any heat issues.

cheers.

#4 ·
Sorry for the late reply, completely forgot about it.

Ratsack - I think you actually did know what I meant about the spur gear. It's that little silver pin that sits in the shaft joint and you slide the spur gear towards it so the pin sits in the spur gear's groove that looks like a + symbol. That pin thing dislodge from the shaft and was sitting in the gear box when it all went wrong. :eek: It probably became lose when I changed the drive shaft to alluminium and didn't noticed it. Thanks alot for the gear chart by the way, been looking around for it quite some time but only ever found those web based R/C gearing calculators.

tdunster - :bang: lol. Thanks for letting me know tho coz I really thought I had it right all along.

But i'm getting the 3Racing graphite conversion soon and all the other bling out stuff like silver suspension arms. Will post some pics when done and hopefully I won't mess it up this time.

#7 · (Edited)
:bang: Bit too late, paid for the parts only just yesterday. -_-!!! But I won't be entering any comps so i'm not too phase. I did also looked at the HotBodies Cyclone TC and other high end belt kits but I know crap all about RCs so I decided to just bling out and gather knowledge around the TT-01 until i'm atleast fluent in this hobby and hopefully I'll pick it up as easy as I did with PCs...such an expensive hobby it was.... $700 for a GPU. I could of bought a sweet arse chassis and a monsterous motor.

#6 ·
hope you've got full ballbearings in your chassis

buy a STEEL non-Tamiya pinion in the right size

19/61 gearing is sweet for 9T ezrun

you can gearup with bigger pinion for speedruns but motor will run hotter
and car will be less drivable away from the dragstrip

#10 ·
I had a 5T brushless in the TT-01 using stock front & rear diffs & 19T/61T gear set....the 5T would make the diffs spin so fast the car would not go anywhere, it would be slipping internally, I think anything faster than a 6/7T for a TT-01 is overkill, unless you go carbon fibre chassis & higher gear ratio.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice and replies guys, just been really busy with work and haven't touched my TT since I backed into a wall and saying good by to the whole rear right end; hub, arms and universal -_-!!!!. But the new goodies should be here by next week and will upload some pictures when done, forgot to put up some when it wasn't broken. Anyways, this will be rather off topic but my car does what's known as and if referring to the issue correct is that it " cogs ". When I feather the throttle, it stutters and as you increase the throttle it runs as normal. Why is this? My current setup is 4300KV 9T, 23 pinion, 61 spur, 35A ESC and 5000mah 25C.

Thanks

#12 ·
my car does what's known as and if referring to the issue correct is that it " cogs ". When I feather the throttle, it stutters and as you increase the throttle it runs as normal. Why is this? My current setup is 4300KV 9T, 23 pinion, 61 spur, 35A ESC and 5000mah 25C.

Thanks
Welcome to the wonderful world of low-end sensorless ESC's. If you replace the 23t pinion with a 19t it should be less noticable - although the cogging will still occur.

Other than getting a better quality ESC or a sensored ESC / motor combo I can only think of one solution.

Solution : Just drive flat out all the time. It's more fun that way.

#13 ·
how long have u had the motor for? cos that happens to my novak and i ignore it a couple of times till it stop turning, lol.
i almost buy a new motor just to replace it but then i was bored so i open the motor case and check the bearings.
it turn up to be the front bearings is pretty much dead and not turning anymore. so, i changed it and it goes back to normal =)
not sure if urs has the same problem, but try to check the front and rear motor bearings

#14 ·
Well till I noticed it, probably only a month. But I'm not so comfortable opening up a motor though, can't even solder for crap. lol But was actually thinking of getting a Novak myself, a Velociti 3.5R GTB ESC combo....$250 including postage ( $430 at RCHobbies.com.au ...-_-!!!!!!!!!! ) Though Tapz mentioned above that anything above 6-7T is overkill which I don't doubt one bit but if it is that severe I'll just save it for my next build. Because i'm pretty sure it slips internally even with the 9T EZRUN, I've checked my gear mesh and there's about 0.1mm gap between the gears and when I spin the wheels, all wheels and trans spin freely no sign of too tight gear mesh. But I'll give opening the motor a try and see if the bearing is the issue.

Thanks dude

#15 ·
if i were you, i'd be betting my hands on the 3racing or yeah racing (can't remember which company) delrin tt01 spur gear set in 52, 55, 58 and 61t and some stainless steel (non tamiya) pinion gears, that will be absolutely bulletproof by then as delrin doesn't wear out as quickly as the normal nylon gears, and is also a bit quieter meshed against steel gears, and you don't need to grease it all unlike the tamiya gears, which wear out a lot quicker if you grease it.

#18 · (Edited)
if i were you, i'd be betting................
Just got myself a 60T Delrin, oh and it's by GPM by the way. It's $10 which for A gear is a bit steep but how can I talk when I've spent so much on my TT that only about $100 of the $700+ actually makes a difference excluding the electronics and motor. But I'm enjoying it, it costs me a lot but I just love putting things together, tinkering, tuning all that.

#17 ·
Crap to be honest LOL. I didn't mentioned that very week on Monday I had mistakenly handed my cousin the radio and he basically trashed it. He managed to take out the rear right hub, upper and lower arm, swing shaft, steering arms and maybe even my rear alloy wheel....T T So now he can **** off and get his own car! But I'm all god for pinions, thanks a lot dude. Got from 19 to 25T. But if you are looking to sell your TT-01 send me some pictures because I wouldn't mind having a semi-basher TT for the pavement. I have another TT sitting around but it's in such a bad shape that I plan to use it for off-road bashing.

#20 ·
i wish i have it with me but i left it at my parent's in my room there, lol. i left it there to hold a rare replica shell of my real car, lol.
well, i still have some tt01 parts with me if u do want it. i can try to find them and probably sell it to u cheap cos i dont really use them anymore.
i can take pics of whatever i have for tt01 and send it over by tomorrow night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.