Yokomo Drift Kits
+ Reply to Thread
    R/C Newbie avdo_ is on a distinguished road

Yokomo Drift Kits

Hey guys,

just looking for some info about the yokomo drift car kits.
    Are they any good, are spares easily availible, hop ups?

If anyone can help out, that would be great.

Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    AUSRC.COM
    Advertisements

R/C God Stoogey will become famous soon enough Stoogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by avdo_ View Post
    Are they any good
    Fairly decent vehicles.

are spares easily availible
    Comparable to Kyosho, available, but can get expensive and takes a while to get from the distributor.

hop ups?
    No, unless they are original Yokomo Upgrades and Hop Ups.

Have a look at the Thunder Tiger SparrowHawk DX vehicles. Ready to drift out of the box, and parts is a breeze to obtain (Ace Hobby are the Aussie distributors). Thunder Tiger also do plenty of Factory Upgrades for it and you can even go as far as getting a full carbon fibre chassis, upper deck plate and shock towers.

http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/6534-F.html

R/C God bd581 is on a distinguished road
    While I've had nothing to do with the drift kits, I did used to race an sd1. The touring car version.

It was without a doubt the quickest and best handling touring car I've ever driven.
    However, it was made out of glass, the poor thing just fell apart, and parts in Australia (at the time) were like hens teath
    I spent a good 6 months chasing a handling issue with it just a couple of runs after I built it. After a while I got it quite good, then found the cause of the issue. The plastic drive cups holding the drive shaft had a hairline crack. At speed it would open up, and become rear wheel drive.

When it finished a race without fault, nobody could get close

personally I'd look at other options. Yes it looks great with that body, but that is what you pay for. You'll only damage it, and they cost a fortune for a replacement.
    Brad

My collection
    http://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6850&highlight=bd581

R/C Apprentice G-VWOW is on a distinguished road G-VWOW's Avatar
    the yokomo drift kits were very very fragile cars, the hubs and the a arms especially are easy to break, and the shock towers had to be changed to carbon or SSG otherwise that breaks easily also. i got rid of mine after i had to spend over $100 on parts to rebuild it after a gentle lick of a wooden guardrail at the local on road club track... not happy at all with it. just buy the body shell and rims/tyres and i wouldn't touch the rest of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by G-VWOW View Post
    the yokomo drift kits were very very fragile cars, the hubs and the a arms especially are easy to break, and the shock towers had to be changed to carbon or SSG otherwise that breaks easily also. i got rid of mine after i had to spend over $100 on parts to rebuild it after a gentle lick of a wooden guardrail at the local on road club track... not happy at all with it. just buy the body shell and rims/tyres and i wouldn't touch the rest of the car.

what can you recommend???? I'm not a big fan of HPI products at all.
    And I have been reading about the Tamiya TT-01d kits, but not sure about the spare parts availibility though.

R/C God Stoogey will become famous soon enough Stoogey's Avatar

And I have been reading about the Tamiya TT-01d kits, but not sure about the spare parts availibility though.

Refer to my post with the recommendation on the Sparrowhawk. Parts availability for Thunder Tiger products is excellent if thats what your worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by G-VWOW View Post

i've never had a problem with hpi spares as if i can't find it locally i'll mail order through frontline in newcastle and 95% of the time they have the part i need. otherwise i'll buy online if they don't have it and i need it in a hurry.

you'll almost never have a problem with thunder tiger or tamiya spares at all at just about anywhere in australia, although if you want a tt01d you'd be better off looking for a 2nd hand 1 with hop ups on it as it needs a few necessary bits to make it bulletproof such as alloy motor mount, alloy centre shaft and possibly the (carbon) upper deck if you want the car to be a bit stiffer. if you buy the tt01 type e drift then you will already have the (plastic) upper deck standard. also, the new tt01 kits if you want to buy locally is not exactly cheap unless if you get some1 marking them down or put them on a special purchase, and new kits off ebay can be a trap as they'll put a cheap price on the kit and sting u on postage.

i've also had a close look at the sparrowhawk and it seems like a quality car for the price. what you'll really need to do is find your local shops, go there and see what they keep stock of and decide from there on as ideally you'd like to have a car that you can buy parts for locally without having to go mail order or online.

R/C God stephoon is on a distinguished road stephoon's Avatar
    Ive driven a lot of drift cars and the best one is the Team Magic E4. E4 is all C/F and has a solid front diff (or you can get a ball diff from an E4JR kit) and i drifted one for about a year. Then i bought the E4RS which was an 08 model and ran a Venom 7.5 brrushless and havent replaced anything....i mean nothing.

Down side of this chassis is that the battery has to be taken off and on under the car but because of how well the chassis is balanced, its just a sacrifice they had to do. You will get used to it.

This is the best balanced car i have driven and the only one that comes close to it is a tamiya TRF chassis which will cost you about $700 (i think). Heres a link for the Team Magic site and they now have the E4D which is a drift spec of the E4 and is a lot cheaper too. The chassis on this one is far more superior to any other rx drift package too. Have a look and decide fo yourself. http://www.teammagic.com.tw/en/profr...3008&pageNum=1

Hope this helps.
    Self sponsored RC enthusiast!

Thanks guys for all the info and help.

I think I'll try and find a HPI Pro-d spec r rtr kit and see how that goes.

R/C Newbie atdakore is on a distinguished road
    What about the HPI Sprint 2 Drift Sport?
    Is that any good, or is it too expensive.

the sprint 2 is a very good choice, i wouldn't be too worried if it is a "drift" or "sport" or whatever as it is essentially the same car just with more colourful boxes and body shells and sticker sheets.

sprint 2s are available cheaply 2nd hand so i wouldn't worry too much about buying a new 1.

the pro d spec r is a good choice although very very pricey... i have an original pro d and don't really want to spend the $$ to buy a spec r kit and upgrade because of the price...

the other thing is... pro d of any sort is a car kit only, no rtrs. you'll need to buy everything else to make it run...

Pro d is unbalanced car. Have too much weight at the back and what gvwow says you have to buy the other kit for it and might become expensive.

Honestly, have a look at the Team Magic chassis. Since i started using it and winning with it, theres now 6 TM chassis in our track. I let the other boys drive my car and there hooked on it now. The JR is $400 ready to run and just need wheels and tyres for it to drift unless you get the drift spec one.

Quote Originally Posted by stephoon View Post
    Pro d is unbalanced car. Have too much weight at the back and what gvwow says you have to buy the other kit for it and might become expensive.

Honestly, have a look at the Team Magic chassis. Since i started using it and winning with it, theres now 6 TM chassis in our track. I let the other boys drive my car and there hooked on it now. The JR is $400 ready to run and just need wheels and tyres for it to drift unless you get the drift spec one.

Where abouts can I get one here in AU. Had a look on ebay but no luck.

My local hobby shop has all the kits from JS to E4RS. Heres his contact number and he's got all the parts for it on his wall too so theres no problems there.
    http://www.thehobbyshed.com.au/
    Ring him up or shoot him an email and he'll get back to you quick.
    Heres mine in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVdm5...layer_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXV-q...layer_embedded
    Heres some of my battles from the origin too thanks to the boys that filmed it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Rbq...layer_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCh2I...layer_embedded
    Last edited by stephoon; 15-10-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephoon View Post

Where abouts can I get one here in AU. Had a look on ebay but no luck.
    don't look on ebay for TM stuff, rchobbies stock them if i remember right, in fact most stores that do a lot of nitro racer stuff will do team magic as their G4s are a a popular choice for nitro touring.

like i said, have a look around your local hobby stores and decide for yourself what you'd like to buy and what is the easiest for spares.

+ Reply to Thread