Australian RC Forums banner

Mamba Max ESC problems?

14K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr freedom 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm having some problems with the mamba max esc and 5700 motor in my e-firestorm.

I can't remember if I had a prang when I last used it or not. I thougth I had a dead battery, but it seems that isn't the case.

so, turn it on, and the reciever doesn't seem to be getting power (gets it from the esc). No drive or steering.

reciever works if I plug in an aux battery pack. and the mamba max doesn't initiate until it gets a signal. and the motor gets no volts unless it gets a signal from the esc. Steering works with the pack plugged in, and the motor tries to go forward, but it's like it's only getting power from the aa batteries, not the main battery.

take out the aux power pack (4x AA reciever pack) and the reciever looses power. no steering again and the light on the RX goes out.

soldering on the esc looks fine, switch should be fine, btu it's soldered in and I can't swap it easily.

Any other suggestions as to what to test? I've not had a chance to drag out the multimeter just yet. I'll try on a third battery tonight as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
try resetting the speedy,I had the same problem with mine after i got hit by a baja..........

#5 ·
Anytime the ESC is powered up with a new transmitter, or with different throttle
channel settings, it will need to be calibrated to “know” what the transmitter’s​
settings are. It will also need to be calibrated after updating to new software via​
Castle Link​

We’ll calibrate the ESC now.​
We recommend removing your pinion gear before calibration as a
safety precaution!​
STEP 1:​
We’re starting with the transmitter ON and the ESC switched OFF and
not connected to the battery.

STEP 2:​
Plug a battery into your Mamba Max ESC.

STEP 3:​
Hold full throttle on the transmitter and switch the ESC’s switch ON.

Keep holding full throttle on the transmitter. If all your connections are correct, you​
will hear one multi-toned initialization “ring” from the motor (all tones are played by​
the ESC vibrating the motor). This tone should always play when the ESC is first​
powered up.​
STEP 4:​
After a second or two, the green LED on the ESC will blink rapidly and
the motor will “ring” 4 times rapidly in a row (accepting the full throttle endpoint).

STEP 5:​
After the green LED flashing and ringing tones, the ESC will blink the red

LED. At this point the full throttle endpoint has been set within the ESC and now
it’s looking for the full brake endpoint (red LED blinking). Move the throttle trigger
to the full brake position and hold full brake.​
STEP 6: After a few seconds, the ESC will flash the red LED and ring 4 times
rapidly (accepting full brake endpoint).​
STEP 7:​
After accepting the full brake endpoint the ESC will then blink the yellow
LED. Now relax the trigger to the neutral position.

STEP 8:​
The ESC will now ring 4 times and flash the yellow LED rapidly to accept

the neutral position.​
STEP 9:​
After accepting the neutral position the ESC will ring twice and flash ALL

the LEDs. This is the arming tone/LED reaction.​
The ESC IS NOW ARMED and

the car will respond to throttle inputs from your transmitter.

#4 ·
Googling reset MM esc I came across this

Flashing all colors = speed control is not receiving a valid signal from the receiver, usually indicates the receiver wire is plugged in backwards into the receiver; possible problem with controller or with throttle channel on receiver.

sounds like that is the problem. so possibly i've stuffed up one of the billion settings on my DX2.0, or I have a rx problem

#9 ·
Googling reset MM esc I came across this

Flashing all colors = speed control is not receiving a valid signal from the receiver, usually indicates the receiver wire is plugged in backwards into the receiver; possible problem with controller or with throttle channel on receiver.

sounds like that is the problem. so possibly i've stuffed up one of the billion settings on my DX2.0, or I have a rx problem
Hey guys, Im currently trying to sort an issue out with a motiv esc which I believe is a sidewinder knockoff?

Problem is when its turned on the esc does the twiddle beep then beep beep (for 2 cell operation I gather) then it just flashes all lights and does not respond, steering works fine, even changed esc rx wire to the steering (to find if its an rx/tx issue, steering worked on throttle ok) but still nothing, tried holding throttle and switching on ect to go through setup but still flashes and no go, tried moving throttle trim on its cheap RTR tx and switching on but no different.

Im not familular with the castle type systems so not sure what to do next, would the usb link firmware upgrade help?

Bit strange as the 10t flux has only had one 3600mah lipo battery pack through it, still looks new.:confused:

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

#6 ·
trouble there is that the rx doesn't seem to be recieving in order to give the esc the information to reset it! I might put an old rx in just to get it going again methinks!

#10 ·
Hey guys, Im currently trying to sort an issue out with a motiv esc which I believe is a sidewinder knockoff?

Problem is when its turned on the esc does the twiddle beep then beep beep (for 2 cell operation I gather) then it just flashes all lights and does not respond, steering works fine, even changed esc rx wire to the steering (to find if its an rx/tx issue, steering worked on throttle ok) but still nothing, tried holding throttle and switching on ect to go through setup but still flashes and no go, tried moving throttle trim on its cheap RTR tx and switching on but no different.

Im not familular with the castle type systems so not sure what to do next, would the usb link firmware upgrade help?

Bit strange as the 10t flux has only had one 3600mah lipo battery pack through it, still looks new.:confused:

Any help is appreciated, cheers.
Flux Motiv is just a Sidewinder rebadged.

Here is some information about what the various error lights for the Mamba ESCs mean from another forum.

Maybe this will help from this thread:

The LED's can have different meanings depending on what you are doing. Hopefully this makes some sense, if you have any questions, just post a reply and I'll do what I can to help clear things up. This applies only to our car controllers (Mamba Monster, Mamba Max, Sidewinder Micro, Mamba Micro Pro, Mamba 25)

If you are not calibrating and have no throttle input then:

Flashing Red and Yellow = over temp
Flashing Green and Yellow = low voltage cut-off(battery)
Flashing Green OR Red = Speed control has not been calibrated and is not armed; or throttle sub-trim is not at 0.
Solid Green OR Red = should not happen when at neutral, indicates full throttle/reverse
Flashing Yellow = possible problem with controller
Solid Yellow = indicates neutral and armed

If you are applying throttle or reverse when NOT calibrating:

Flashing Red and Yellow = over temp
Flashing Green and Yellow = low voltage cut-off(battery)
Flashing Green OR Red = indicates partial throttle (green) or reverse (red)
Solid Green OR Red = indicates full throttle (green) or reverse (red)
Flashing Yellow = possible problem with control
Solid Yellow = should never happen

If you are applying throttle or reverse WHEN calibrating:

Flashing Red and Yellow = should not happen when calibrating
Flashing Green and Yellow = should not happen when calibrating
Flashing Green OR Red while beeping = indicates speed control is looking for full throttle (green) or full throttle (red). If it continues for more than ~ 8 seconds, indicates speed control is seeing partial throttle (green) or reverse (red), increase endpoints on transmitter so speed control sees full throttle/reverse.
Solid Green OR Red = indicates full throttle (green) or reverse (red) has been read
Flashing Yellow = speed control is not seeing a valid neutral signal, check your transmitters throttle sub-trim is at zero, exponential is set to 0 or linear, and mixing is disabled.
Solid Yellow = indicates neutral has calibrated and is armed
Flashing all colors = speed control is not receiving a valid signal from the receiver. Usually indicates the receiver wire is plugged in backwards into the receiver; also happens when speed control has accepted a calibration setting (throttle, reverse or neutral) and flashes/chimes 4 times before moving to next calibration point; or problem with throttle channel on receiver.

Again if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thomas Porfert
Castle Tech Support

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.